Monday, April 4, 2016

Update - Bottles from the Past (much cleaner NOW)

Many years ago, I owned an old Sea Captain's cottage in New Bedford, MA (the Whaling City).  Like a magpie, I was intrigued by whatever those sparkling objects were that I could see poking out from the dirt in the crawl space.   I donned some old scrubs, gloves, shoe covers, and a hat.  I armed myself with a good flashlight (or torch, for my British friends), a trowel, and a bucket and can of bug spray in case one of those critters (lots of spiders) decided to hitch a ride out of there.  The crawl space was only about 3 feet high so I had to squat down the whole time and sort of duck waddle across the expanse of the house.  Oh, I do wish I had a photo to show you................

After several hours of digging and scraping I came away with a bucket of very old bottles, some of which I will show you here.  My all time favorites are the Clicquot Club soda bottles of which I have a pair showing how the logo (on the bottom) changed over the years.

Do you remember Clicquot Club???




This is the older logo, and the bottle is bluer.  The little Eskimo is designed very plain with no details on his outfit.









This is the newer logo, and the bottle is greener.   See how the little Eskimo shows fur outfit.













Other bottles I found are Pocasset Beverages, Friendship Bottling, Hiram Wheaton & Sons, and others.























I do regret not going back down there the next day or any day thereafter but I didn't because I didn't have a place to show the ones I had already dug up.  That is until I moved to Maine and bought this house with the bow window facing southwest.

Now they come out ritually every spring and grace the window and I get to enjoy them over and over again.

If anyone has a secret to cleaning them out I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.  I used a bottle brush in them with baking soda and detergent but they are still so dirty inside it makes it difficult to get good pictures and for them to sparkle like they should.

Thanks for visiting my blog today.  I wish you much joy in your day.
Carol


Update -  I used denture tabs and a tool I made by wrapping a very long and thick pipe cleaner around a thin stick to get the bottles clean.  Here is some of the results -








Before










After









Before









After

I'd show you more but we'd be here all day...................  I think you get the picture.  I tried the vinegar, the baking soda, and a degreasing soap but it was the denture tabs that did the trick.

Enjoy your day.  Thanks for visiting.






















6 comments:

  1. Glass....one of my passions too, unfortunately I don't have enough space to exhibit it all , so much of it is hidden away in boxes in the cellar :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, thanks for visiting my blog. I wish I had some stained glass windows in this room too. The sunlight is fabulous here. Enjoy your day.

      Delete
  2. I love the way you write, Carol. I was down in the crawl space with you. I happen to think the bottles are lovely the way they are, but did you try soaking them in vinegar?
    What wonderful Windows you have...and are they pink tulips I see?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. I will try the vinegar and let you know if it works. My purple tulips are losing their petals quickly but there are new little green shoots coming up so I'll keep them around awhile to see what happens. Enjoy your day!

      Delete
    2. Dear Carol what a great collection of bottles. I had to smile picturing you digging around gathering them up. I have no clue how to get them clean. They look good in your window. I never heard of Clicquot soda before. Was it only made for the New England area?

      Delete
  3. Yes Debbie, I do believe Clicquot Club was a New England brand. I'm still working on cleaning those bottles. Need to try denture tabs and giant pipe cleaners. LOL

    ReplyDelete

So nice of you to visit my blog. I look forward to reading your comments.