Sunday, May 22, 2016

The Rare Hare and Small Blessings

I was blessed to spot this Snowshoe Hare as I opened the  curtains this morning.  Unfortunately a car drove by and startled it back into the woods.  What a wonderful surprise it was since I this is only the second rabbit I've seen in 11 years.  I thought I would see a lot more of them here in the country.


(losing it's winter white fur)

Here's a bit of information on this little one -

Maine is home to two rabbit-like species, but only one of them -- the New England cottontail  is a true rabbit. The other is the snowshoe hare. Snowshoe hares are larger than New England cottontails, having a larger body, longer ears, and much longer feet. Probably the most recognizable difference between the two species is that snowshoe hares turn white during the winter while New England cottontails remain brown. Hares are born fully furred with their eyes open, and can hop about within hours of their birth. Rabbits, on the other hand, give birth to blind, hairless young that require considerable attention during their first two weeks of life.

The snowshoe hare is found throughout Maine; the New England cottontail does not live north of the Portland area, and was recently listed as a state endangered species. (The species is a candidate for listing under the federal Endangered Species Act) Loss of habitat has caused a steep decline in New England cottontail populations throughout their range in New England and New York.

~

And, while I was watching the hare.....................another hummingbird almost got by me.


(This one has a white throat and is pretty emerald green, I believe it is the female Ruby Throated Hummingbird, from what I've read.)

Thank you for visiting with me today.  Enjoy the small blessings that come your way today and every day; like hummingbirds and hares.  

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment

So nice of you to visit my blog. I look forward to reading your comments.