Sunday, June 26, 2016

Mighty Oaks From Little Acorns Grow

It amazes me that even from the start, an oak tree has full grown leaves on it's tiny trunk......


It was so funny-looking when it was just a trunk and two great big leaves on top.  Those leaves are the size of my hands..............and the trunk is about the thickness of a pencil.  I thought I had a picture but can't find it at this time.

My little oak is growing; it now has two little branches.  I have to be patient, it's only a three year old.  It must be hardy because it has survived two winters in Maine.

We have 5 of these that took root and we are letting them grow in the garden because it's on the southwest side of the house where we've lost a large white birch and the other is looking pretty bad and doesn't afford much shade in the summer.  These 5 should, in time, keep our home cooler in the hot weather and still afford us the seasonal mountain views we are used to in the winter months.

Here are some of the others -









In time the garden will become filled with ground cover plants that need little care instead of the flowers that are there now.  Oh, and more of those large rocks too!

Wishing you a beautiful day.  Thank you for visiting with me today.
Hugs,
Carol

5 comments:

  1. That is such a wonderful additions to your already beautiful garden! I understand the need wanting a not too much work garden--I keep wanting that but then go and plant more flowers and vegetables and tell myself 'next year' !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting fact about the full-sized leaves. A good sign of things to come! Hope your new week is wonderful, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Carol - I had never given it any thought about how those little twigs have grown up leaves on them. What a great observation friend. Yes plants lots of ground cover it makes gardening much easier. Hope you are having a super day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Debbie. We have lots of Pachysandra going in the ground and also many Hosta plants on the hilly areas of the yard to make mowing easier already. Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete

So nice of you to visit my blog. I look forward to reading your comments.