Sunday, August 7, 2016

Fulfilling A Dream..................

So, this is only one of the benefits of being home bound with a chronic pain condition.  You can fulfill a life long dream and learn to play the piano if you can find one like I did at an auction for only $70. plus moving charges.  This is the 1887 Mason & Hamlin screw stringer upright grand piano I just had to have.


You see, not only did my beloved Grandmother have one, she also owned that iron Gnome that sat beside her piano.  I inherited the Gnome when my brother passed away about 8 years ago and he has been waiting for his piano to guard ever since.

And just to show you it is possible to learn to play piano at age 64, here's a sample of what I've learned after about 3 months.  Please click the link to go to my YouTube channel.  Thanks.

"Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen as played by ME.

Thanks for watching the video.  I know it's choppy and some notes were bad.  Sometimes these fingers don't want to reach to where they need to go and my eyes don't go back to the line that they should on the sheet music (yes, I learned to read sheet music too).  Getting both hands to do different things was quite the challenge but I am getting better at it.

The latest songs I am learning are "How Great Thou Art", "What Child Is This", "Canon", "Scarborough Fair" and "Angels We Have Heard On High".

I am also writing music for songs I wrote back in the late 1970's when I would make up songs for my children with such titles as "Let All Proclaim", and "Jesus By My Side".   Yes, I remember them; words and tunes.  What's funny is so does my daughter.  One day recently we sat together and she sang them with me.  It was amazing.

Thanks for visiting.  I apologize for the bad quality of the video.  I promise the next one will be clearer and the lens will be clean too.  Yikes!

Blessings to you and yours,
Carol







9 comments:

  1. Hi, Carol, it's wonderful to know you're making your dream come true. Have fun and make yourself happy! The piano and music will enrich you. Best wishes, Sadami

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED this post Carol! I can't believe how good you sound! I also love this song...I believe we're never to old to follow our dreams!!!! I never thought that at my age I would be an Associate Member of the Pastel Society..... My sister in law kept telling me never stop trying! I only wish she was still here so I can tell her "I did it!"......just like a child..lol. I would love to hear your next song. Let us know!!! 💕Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Carol! So happy your wish came to such delightful fruition. I even had a tear in my eye as I imagined your happiness in meeting your goal! Love this song! Cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Carol! this is awesome and I am very happy for you! what an achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say I was pretty touched by your interpretation. How delightful that you're learning to play the piano!! I'm clapping my hand and a big BRAVO, Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies, I'm so glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Carol this is amazing and like Hilda one of my favorite songs as well. See just like Grandma Moses we realize our dreams are just not for the young. Of course we are still young :)! Hugs friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Debbie. I am having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol, how wonderful that you have the same piano my grandmother had, which now belongs to me. I love my M&H, which still has most of its original strings and even its original bench. The piano has been in storage for the better part of the year due to a move, but I can't wait to get back to playing once I'm able to do so. Music feeds the soul.

    ReplyDelete

So nice of you to visit my blog. I look forward to reading your comments.