Sunday, March 12, 2017

No It's Not Halloween

No, it's not Halloween......the mask is to keep the dust out of my lungs.  This was quite a messy job. After brushing out all the dust and rodent material I used the steel wool to clean the pins, polished them, and then lubricated them all.  It was an all day project with many bathroom breaks and coffee breaks. Still, by the end of the day I was walking like the Tin Man from Oz.


I knew these bioterrorism masks would come in handy someday. 
 I have these from my days as a nurse.  



Old paint brushes sure come in handy.



Polishing.....used red pipe cleaners for polish.


Lubricating......used yellow pipe cleaners for oil.


Used copper wire brush to clean the back felt. 



The end results.
It was a lot of work but it's worth it.

I have the keys sitting on top of the piano. I had to glue some of the ivory tops.


After they dry completely I need to start putting the teflon powder into the felt bushings and burnish.  Then I can start replacing the keys.

That'll have to wait a day or two until I can recover.  Both thumbs feel right now, which I know is a flare up of tendinitis, which will go away shortly.  Then it's back to work on this project. 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are having a wonderful day.
Carol




6 comments:

  1. Good on you, Carol. Please relax yourself after the hard work. I'm sure they are shining now! Best wishes, Sadami

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a huge undertaking. Bet you feel like you certainly accomplished something extraordinary. Your mask made me smile dear friend. Think it is time to relax a bit. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just amaze me, Carol! You couldn't find a piano repairperson so you did the researc, and did all of this by yourself! Not an easy task, for sure! I am in awe! That piano is going to make beautiful music very soon, my friend! Kudos to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, I sure hope it works when I put it back together. If it doesn't , I have an electronic keyboard I got at a recent auction that I've been practicing on. I wasn't going to risk not having anything to play on. I think it was a good purchase. I hope you are having a good week.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Regine, Sadami, Debbie and Carol.

    ReplyDelete

So nice of you to visit my blog. I look forward to reading your comments.