Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Style 5 No. 985


I found this printed inside the piano when I was removing more dust from inside the back.  My piano guy says this is the serial number and "Wow, is that an old piano!" I have been corresponding with a piano technician and store owner in Michigan who tells me this piano was definitely made before they started officially cataloging serial numbers of pianos when they were made.

How cool is that?  My grandson tested it out and said it sounds better.  I'm still not satisfied or finished with it yet though.  I need to soften the felt dampers because the notes have an after-ring.  It appears that the felts are so hardened they do not bump up against the strings adequately to mute the note.


I might have to take the action back out of the piano if I can't get at the felts with a thin metal file.
Thanks for stopping by.  I do hope your week is going well.
Carol


2 comments:

  1. Now Carol isn't it amazing how old something can be and still be made to sound and work well. Hope you have a great day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Debbie, I hope you have a great day too.

    ReplyDelete

So nice of you to visit my blog. I look forward to reading your comments.