Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Why I Speak Softly and Carry A Big Stick.....when I walk.




Out on my walk yesterday I found......Coyote tracks.





(L) Dog print vs (R) Coyote print

The points that tell it is a Coyote print are -

1- the print is slimmer

2 - you can make an X across the paw in the negative space

3 - the trail pattern of a Dog is zig zag as they are playful whereas 
a Coyote trail pattern is straighter as they are always on a mission

I always check the tracks I find when taking my walks.  One winter we found the tracks of a Bobcat that were really fun as they showed us that he was walking along and then began to run (the spacing between paw prints got wider and wider).

Enjoy your day!
Carol

6 comments:

  1. Dearest Carol this was amazing. I didn't know the difference. We are overrun with th we critters. They love to scream in the wee hours of the morning. Gives me the chills! Keep carrying that stick- Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fascinating post, dear Carol! I didn't know the difference, either. Thank you so much for sharing and yes, I think carrying a stick when walking is a very good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting information, Carol! We have coyotes here as well, but I didn't realize the unique characteristics of the paw print. Now, I have some information to share with my co-walkers! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. Use those walking sticks and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

So nice of you to visit my blog. I look forward to reading your comments.