Friday, September 8, 2017

The Making of Brown Butter Sponge Cake, the Red Mixer and Lessons Learned

Well, I finally decided to try out the new red mixer and make this Brown Butter Sponge Cake recipe I found on one of the blogs.  So, I gathered all the ingredients....


including my new red mixer.


I began prepping.....the dry ingredients, the wet ingredients, butter melted and cooling. Then I started combining.....oh, nice an slow. And add the batter to the buttered, spring-form pan (new, of course).  Then I thought I'd better put this on a baking sheet just in case there is some leakage.  Guess what???  Look at all that butter leaking out of the seam!

Chances are good, without the baking sheet there would have been smoke and where there is smoke..there's FIRE.


I was getting a bit worried because not only was the butter oozing out at the bottom of the pan but it was pooling on top of the cake as well. I wasn't prepared for this!  But, I waited the full cooking time and was sure I would be tossing this cake in the trash.

Well, the toothpick came out clean so I removed it to the counter and let it cool.  I removed the spring-form sides and noticed the butter had been absorbed.  Hmmm, now I was intrigued.


I gently lifted it with two spatulas and placed it in my vintage Tupperware Pie Taker (a blessing over the years as it holds everything from pies, muffins, cakes, and now this. Some things can never be replaced with newer things.  

I put it in the refrigerator to keep until Mike got home from work and then we both tried a piece.  I was hesitant; I thought the butter might have gone rancid from the heat (I think of crazy stuff like that) or something else happened to spoil it, but it was delicious.

Thick and moist, with a buttery nutty taste and consistency..........yum, yum!
And, as you can see by the morning it had been proven, without a doubt, that it was in fact a success by the number of pieces that were missing.


Something I learned from making a recipe I found online is to double check the instructions carefully as even though salt and baking soda were listed as ingredients they were not in the instructions and I hadn't noticed they had been missed until I had mixed the entire batter and was putting away things, and I saw them sitting on the counter.  I prayed and put them in at the end and hoped I mixed them in well enough.

The second thing I learned is to be careful with the ingredients as it said 2 cups of sugar substitute and when I looked at 2 cups of Truvia, and I know how sweet it can be, I stopped and looked up the conversion for two cups of sugar to 2 cups of Truvia and I used the conversion amount ,which if I remember correctly was 2/3 cup and 2 Tablespoons, and even that made it a bit sweet.

The baking session was a success and all that was left was the CLEAN-UP.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you have a beautiful sunny day where you are.
Time for me to get out and enjoy mine.
Carol



15 comments:

  1. Good to know it was a success, I'm sure it was delicious. Nice of you to share, warm greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Mike called me on his break at work and can't wait to get home to have another piece. Hey, he used to want to get home to see me. LOL You know they say, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Ha, ha!

      Delete
  2. I am glad to hear it worked out, Carol. Lovely to see your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, so nice of you to visit. Even my grandson Jon is enjoying it and he never eats cake-like things. Enjoy your day!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. And, it works like a charm. I went wild and ordered the red mixer!

      Delete
  4. Hi Carol ... I'm so pleased you enjoyed this. I have/did reply to the queries you raised on my post here
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/brown-butter-sponge-cake-low-carb-and.html

    Enjoy the rest of Friday and have a great weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious! Butter is just about my favorite food group :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your "tales" of life as it happens are delightful, Carol. Your descriptions of things parallel our lives as well. We all worry about the success of a new recipe! Cannot wait to see the next story. By the way, I envy you your mixer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! This has been so much fun for me as I love learning new things all the time and sharing what I've learned. I always look forward to your comments dear friend. Enjoy your day.

      Delete
  7. Hello, it sounds and looks delicious! YUM! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake looks absolutely DELICIOUS dear Carol!!!

    i never tried butter before though my mom was fond of it so she used to put it in most of her dishes but to be honest i never liked butter or even milk ,it was hard for mom then and later for husband to make me drink milk .

    slipping away from the topic lol.
    i am sure you and your husband enjoyed this tasty cake when he was back from his job.
    i am still thinking that what can i replace instead of butter .
    your learning and observations are very wise ,i agree one should be careful about reading the ingredients

    ReplyDelete

So nice of you to visit my blog. I look forward to reading your comments.