Well, I finally decided to try out the new red mixer and make this Brown Butter Sponge Cake recipe I found on one of the blogs. So, I gathered all the ingredients....
including my new red mixer.
I began prepping.....the dry ingredients, the wet ingredients, butter melted and cooling. Then I started combining.....oh, nice an slow. And add the batter to the buttered, spring-form pan (new, of course). Then I thought I'd better put this on a baking sheet just in case there is some leakage. Guess what??? Look at all that butter leaking out of the seam!
Chances are good, without the baking sheet there would have been smoke and where there is smoke..there's FIRE.
I was getting a bit worried because not only was the butter oozing out at the bottom of the pan but it was pooling on top of the cake as well. I wasn't prepared for this! But, I waited the full cooking time and was sure I would be tossing this cake in the trash.
Well, the toothpick came out clean so I removed it to the counter and let it cool. I removed the spring-form sides and noticed the butter had been absorbed. Hmmm, now I was intrigued.
I gently lifted it with two spatulas and placed it in my vintage Tupperware Pie Taker (a blessing over the years as it holds everything from pies, muffins, cakes, and now this. Some things can never be replaced with newer things.
I put it in the refrigerator to keep until Mike got home from work and then we both tried a piece. I was hesitant; I thought the butter might have gone rancid from the heat (I think of crazy stuff like that) or something else happened to spoil it, but it was delicious.
Thick and moist, with a buttery nutty taste and consistency..........yum, yum!
And, as you can see by the morning it had been proven, without a doubt, that it was in fact a success by the number of pieces that were missing.
Something I learned from making a recipe I found online is to double check the instructions carefully as even though salt and baking soda were listed as ingredients they were not in the instructions and I hadn't noticed they had been missed until I had mixed the entire batter and was putting away things, and I saw them sitting on the counter. I prayed and put them in at the end and hoped I mixed them in well enough.
The second thing I learned is to be careful with the ingredients as it said 2 cups of sugar substitute and when I looked at 2 cups of Truvia, and I know how sweet it can be, I stopped and looked up the conversion for two cups of sugar to 2 cups of Truvia and I used the conversion amount ,which if I remember correctly was 2/3 cup and 2 Tablespoons, and even that made it a bit sweet.
The baking session was a success and all that was left was the CLEAN-UP.
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a beautiful sunny day where you are.
Time for me to get out and enjoy mine.